The Nordic Africa Institute invites applications from qualified African researchers for the position of Senior Researcher.
Nordic Africa Institute (NAI) African Scholar Program
The Nordic Africa Institute’s African Scholar Program is targeted at researchers based in Africa who need time and a conducive environment for finishing and writing up their ongoing research. It offers a Senior Researcher position at the Nordic Africa Institute for the duration of 12 months. The Nordic Africa Institute is looking for a qualified researcher from African universities and research institutions with demonstrable research interest.
The Senior Researcher under the Institute’s African Scholar Program will develop and execute research projects within at least one of the institute’s research thematic areas, namely:
- Climate change and sustainable development
- Conflict, security and democratic transformation
- Mobility and migration
- Gender equaliy
The successful candidate might use the period of his/her employment at NAI to complete on-going research, develop new research projects, or complete articles, books or monograph manuscripts. The scholar-researcher should take advantage of the intellectual and logistical resources of the Nordic Africa Institute and expect to contribute meaningfully towards actualizing NAI’s vision and mandate in return.
Nordic Africa Institute (NAI) African Scholar Program Eligibility
A PhD degree in a social science or humanities disciplines. The applicant should have a considerable experience of work on Africa-related issues.
- A research/teaching position in university or research institution in Africa.
- Strong writing ability and capacity to present complex issues in a readable form for both academic and non-academic audiences.
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong communication skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge of Africa’s scientific community, policy environment, and other relevant stakeholders and actors in Africa.
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English.
Value of Award: Salary is negotiable within the current levels at the institute.
Duration of Programme: Contract period will be 12 months and expected start of date is October 1st, 2020.
How to Apply for Nordic Africa Institute (NAI) African Scholar Program
The application should contain:
- A proposal not exceeding 5 pages. It should include the applicant’s
- Presentation of the on-going research project(s) – objective, questions, theory and method;
- Work plan for the length of stay at the institute – detailing proposed intellectual activities, expected outputs (such as publication, dissemination activities, participation at seminar/workshop/conference activities, and policy engagements);
- A complete CV with a list of scientific publications where it is clearly indicated which publications are formally considered as peer reviewed.
- Indication of internet addresses to the applicant’s own publications relating to his/her research (a maximum of three publications).
- Proof of networking and collaboration.
- Names and contact details of at least two references.
As part of the recruitment process, shortlisted candidates will be invited to present their proposed research projects for the Nordic Africa Institute via Skype or Zoom.
The application should be sent by email to [email protected].
For more information, visit the Nordic Africa Institute (NAI) African Scholar Program.
Application Deadline: 26th April 2020
The Institute promotes equal opportunities for all, and good representation of African regions.